Unfortunately, we all do not have the luxury to be able to play golf year round. For most of us, it’s that time of year again where we put our clubs away until the spring. Just because the clubs collect dust in your basement or garage during the winter months does not mean your golf game has to either. As we battle through the withdrawals of not being out on the golf course, here are 7 great tips on how you can keep up your golf game, without stepping foot on a golf course.
The gym is no longer for those who think they should be on the Jersey Shore. Only 30 minutes a day 3 days a week will put you on the path to lower scores.
(1) Every muscle in your back is used on every swing. After time, we have all experienced some back pain out on the course. Try the seated row to give your back the extra strength it needs.
This is one of the best exercises for golfers. Sit tall and upright. Keep your shoulders back. Now pull the handles toward you as if you were rowing. If the machine you’re using allows you to work one arm at a time, do that.
(2) You find yourself on a Par 3 and think you can hit the green. Only to come up short. Way short. There’s an exercise to help that. Strengthening your arms will help you increase your clubhead speed, which will increase the length off the tee. These exercises will do the trick:
Using a flat bench, go from a straight-arm position to having your arms bent at the elbow at a 90-degree angle, then push back up. Keep the back straight.
(3) 18-holes in sunny warm weather sounds like a great day to any golfer. However, by the 15th hole you may find yourself tired from walking and your swing starts to suffer because of it. By doing leg exercises you can have a more powerful swing late onto the course.
From a seated position, extend the legs away from the body and then back down to work the thighs.
(4) You do not need a six pack (of abs) to be a good golfer. The rotation of the torso is enhanced by strong abs. Strong abs increase the speed with which the body unwinds, adding distance to your shots. They also provide stamina to repeat the rotation and increase accuracy.
On the first machine, start in the upright position and bring the elbows down to the knees.
(5) Don’t have a gym membership? No problem. There are exercises you can do from the comfort of your own living room while you watch TV.
Stay loose. Your swing can take a hit if you are not flexible. The less flexible you are, the shorter your swing is. All you have to do is lie on your back, pull one leg into your chest while keeping the other leg extended and hold for 30 seconds.
Then repeat with the other leg for two sets. For only 4 minutes a day you can help improve your flexibility. Not too bad right?
(6) Want to do abs but don’t have an ab machine? Two Hundred Sit Ups allow you to get an ab workout without leaving your house. You can do them in the morning before getting ready for work or after work while you watch the evening news. It will keep you motivated throughout the winter with a day-to-day program.
(7) Watch what you eat. As the holiday season vastly approaches, we may lose sight on how much we eat (or when dealing with the in-laws, drink) and quickly add on a few extra pounds that will hinder your golf game. It is important to watch what you eat (I suggest buying smaller plates). During the offseason, the average golfer can put on additional 5-10 pounds.
Bonus Round– Create your own driving range at home! Instead of freezing on the golf course, you can improve your swing inside your basement or in your own backyard.
- The Net Returner sets are a 7’6” x 8’ net that allows golfers to practice their golf swing and returns their ball to them. Price: $395(www.thereturn.com)
- 3 in 1 Golf Practice Set Mat Driving Net Chipping Net and Bag. 10’ x 7’ allows you to practice on your chip shots. Price: $79.99(www.amazon.com).
- The Home Golf Net is 7’ x 9’ that allows you to practice your swing either indoor or outdoor. Price: $264 (nettingmasters.com)
With these tips, you can help improve your game during the offseason and gain an advantage over your friends come the spring time. So what are you waiting for? There are only 110 days left until spring!
For more info visit these sites:
# 1 OnCore Golf Intern!